Sunday, January 05, 2014

2014 Hopman Cup: From a Fan's Point of View

OUI!

I was very fortunate to be one of the spectators at this year's Hopman Cup. Generally I love all tournaments (although there are ALWAYS special 'treatments' for the Grand Slams and the year-end championships, of course), but the Hopman Cup always holds a special place in my heart for a number of reasons. Firstly, it was the first tennis tournament I've ever been to. In 2010, I found out that my favourite player of all time was going to play in Perth. At that time I still had a valid Australian visa because I had gone to Perth in June. Also, I have relatives living in Perth (who have become my host family here) so I needed not to worry about accommodation. Although I had been worried at first about traveling alone, I made the trip anyway, and it turned out GREAT. My heart still pounds every time I remember each second of the matches I went to.

Secondly, it is held in Perth. My favourite city ever, and where I live. It is quite a big deal here, let me tell you. People here support the event and it always attracts a lot of spectators, local and international. I know that there are many people who travel to Perth just to see the Hopman Cup...like this lady for example. It's really good for the city, in short. Thirdly, it has such a friendly atmosphere. Even the official tournament Twitter account is very interactive. One just can't help but love the tournament. The quality of tennis is also great, and it always has national spirits.

This year was my first experience at the Cup's new venue, the Perth Arena. I have to admit I was a little bit skeptical about the venue first, because I had grown to be very attached to the Cup's original venue, the Burswood Dome (which is no more now, because they have demolished the building in order to have more parking spaces). Also, the Dome had been deeply associated with the Cup. I felt especially melancholy when I went to the Cup in 2012, knowing that it was the 'last year at the Dome', as they put it. However, when I first saw what the Arena would look like, I was amazed. It would be fantastic for Perth to have such an amazing venue, right around the Central Business District (CBD).

And how right I was!
The Champions Walk, where visitors can see a list of past champions as they walk through
The magnificent Arena at night
Inside the Arena
The retractable roof
See? It is huge. It has great facilities. AND IT HAS A RETRACTABLE ROOF! And it's not even a Grand Slam event! (yes, I'm talking to you, Roland Garros and US Open organisers!)

The new management has worked hard to improve the tournament. As much as I love the good old days at the Dome, it was rather old-fashioned, yeah. And it was fully indoor--way different than other Australian summer tournaments. Players could not use the Cup as a proper preparation for the Australian Open, where they are always expected to deal with hot weather and stuffs. But now that the tournament is part of the Australian Open Series--a series of ATP and WTA tournaments leading up to the Australian Open, it is a wonderful, if not perfect, preparation for the Open. Even a lot of people say that the characteristics of the court at the Arena are very similar to those of the courts at Melbourne Park (the venue of the Australian Open). So of course the values of the Cup have increased a lot more. It is getting more difficult to remember that the Cup is an exhibition, which awards no points to the players! Even players always take the Cup very seriously, like this:
Serious Sam is always delightful to see
They, however, also know that there is always something about the Cup that makes them never forget the fun, like this:
Okay, who knew that an Aga Radwanska could be like...this? Certainly not me.
Another wonderful thing about the 'new' Hopman Cup is that you can watch players practising at the practise court outside the Arena for FREE. Just stop by the Arena, turn left and walk through until you find the practise court. If you get to enter the Arena, you can ask for the official schedule of players' practise sessions at the Information Centre. Or they usually show the schedule on screens inside the Arena. If you are patient enough to wait until they finish practising and lucky enough, who knows, a few autographs? A picture with your favourite player?
One knows one is lucky when one gets to relax while watching one of one's favourite players practising

Both images above are examples of extreme dedication and patience that only fellow tennis fans--or passionate fans of any other 'fandoms' can understand. And, yes, I will not wash that thing.
Also, now they have an autograph booth!! Or Autograph Island as they officially call it. There you can line up until you get to have your stuffs signed by players (there is always an official announcement inside about who's going to be at the Autograph Island and at what time), or have your picture taken. A (quite) useful advice: If you come all by yourself like poor old me, do not hesitate to ask someone (a fellow spectator or a staff member will do) to take a picture of you and a player. The chances are a LOT greater that they will to help you. Also, always will to help someone who asks you to take a picture of them. Does not hurt at all. It's so much fun, anyway, that you get to 'connect' with fellow fans this way.
Fans lining up to wait for Alize Cornet at the Island on the second day of the tournament
The lucky boy in the red cap
AT LAST! Again, dedication and patience that only passionate fans can understand :-D
Also, what you've paid for the ticket(s) includes public transport fares. If you use public transport (buses, trains, etc.) to and from the Arena like me, you don't need to buy any ticket; just show your tennis tickets. You can use the tickets to go to the Arena (or to Wellington Street Bus Station and Perth Railway Station, which are within walking distance--approximately five minutes of walking--from the Arena). See? Everyone involved in this tournament wants to make life easier for the fans going to the Cup!

Finally let's talk about the 'real' tennis. As usual, great quality of tennis was shown by the players. It was very nice to see players that are not so well-known like Grzegorz Panfil (who replaced Jerzy Janowicz) and Daniel Munoz-De La Nava (who replaced Tommy Robredo) shine at the Cup, playing in front of around 10.000+ people (remember other Hopman Cup highlights from the past like Wu Di or Ruben Bemelmans?) that one cannot help but hope to see more of these players in the future. Some incredible matches as well, which gave me a glimpse of how this season is going to be like. Agnieszka Radwanska vs Eugenie Bouchard (Group A round robin), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs Munoz-De La Nava (Group B round robin), and of course the Radwanska vs Alize Cornet match in the finals that left a lot of people including myself breathless with sick rallies and Cornet's fighting spirit through hyperventilation are among the highlights of the tournament. Not to mention the mixed doubles matches were very entertaining. I'm being honest; I laughed so hard at Radek Stepanek's antics during his mixed doubles matches!

And of course, the victors. After two final appearances as runner-ups, France finally got to take home the Cup! It was difficult for me to predict who was going to win, between Poland and France. IMHO, France had the better male player, Poland had the better female player, and as doubles teams both of the teams were simply wonderful. The finals proved to be perhaps one of the greatest the Hopman Cup has ever witnessed. Greg Panfil showed his true talent by taking a set off of Tsonga, and the women's singles match was...too amazing to describe, really. Although, compared to the singles matches, the doubles match was too one-sided (France won 6 - 0, 6 - 2), overall the finals were quality. Fans--myself included, of course!--left the Arena satisfied, it was really worth the money and all that stuff, and the Cup again got very fortunate to have the tennis world's attention drawn upon it with such great matches.
Congrats Alize and Jo! Remember, I held the Cup before you guys:
*still waiting for Indonesia to get this trophy--or at least get invited to the Cup!*
If I had to rate my Hopman Cup experience this year, I would give a 9.5 out of 10. Near-perfect, and the only things I could complain about were that now food and drinks from outside are not allowed. I had gotten used to bring a pack of Snickers or Kit Kats to munch during the matches to give me the energy needed, and that I had to pay for the landyard--back at the Dome, you went to the photo booth, had your picture taken with the trophy (and you did not have to wear gloves at that time :p), and you got the landyard along with your photo. Nevertheless, the overall experience was a wonder, and just like in 2011 and 2012, I left the venue with a huge satisfied grin. Next edition of the tournament? FOR SURE.

---

All low quality photos and grammatical/spelling errors are my own. High quality photos such as those of Sam, the Poles dancing, and the French with their trophy are courtesy of ABC (Sam) and the Hopman Cup official site (the Poles, the French).

1 comment:

  1. Excellent .....
    Very detailed depiction tournament and made me eager to watch the Hopman Cup tournament in Perth in 2014.
    Thank you Mentari for your detail information about this tournament.

    best regards
    Rudi S.Kamri
    Jakarta - Indonesia

    ReplyDelete