Saturday, June 09, 2012

A Light at the End of a Cave

Quote of the Day: "Where logic can stop me in medias res is where passion will get me through."

I made that up, really. Came up with that when I finished my research paper. I'm glad I invented that quote, though, for it really suits what has happened today.

Maria Sharapova is the World No. 1.

Maria Sharapova is the Roland Garros Champion.

Maria Sharapova is the World No. 1 and Grand Slam Champion.

Like I said before, three years ago I wouldn't even say that Maria would ever crack the Top 10 again. But...well, here ya go:
A sight that I never expected to see all those years ago. A day that I never thought she would have. A moment I never thought would ever happen.

Just some minutes ago, she completed a Career Grand Slam at Roland Garros, defeating Italian surprise Sara Errani, who, despite losing, gave us pretty much the same reason Schiavone did back in 2010, why she deserved her fabulous run to the final.

It was no easy journey for Maria. Her comeback started rather shakily, I should say. She reached the quarterfinals at Roland Garros in 2009, but there she was demolished by Dominika Cibulkova. It was quite awhile for her to reach another Grand Slam quarterfinals--exactly two years later at the same tournament.

I can say it was such a long, rocky journey. She could barely beat the top players, not even comeback queens Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin *there's always a space for her name--I've just realised*. It was so difficult that a former glory seemed so far away, as did her once-a-weapon serve. I guarantee you, I'm not the only one who thought that she could not even find the passion--especially after her engagement to Sasha Vujacic, which seemed like in a flash -_-

Probably Maria saw things a bit differently. Yeah, she was aware that her glory was nearly out of sight, but it was not impossible to restore herself to it. Weeks, months, even years she willed to spend to prove everyone what brought her to the top. Yes, there were obstacles, but she willed to face them and get through. There were losses, but if that was what it took for her to achieve what she wanted, she willed to experience them. If to find a light she had to go through a rocky cave, suck it...she would go through with a determination not many people have, with a belief that everything would be all well eventually.

As we all see, she has found the light. With a way that only a Maria can solve a problem with.
2004 Wimbledon Champion
2006 US Open Champion
2008 Australian Open Champion
2012 French Open Champion
World No. 1
Fighting spirit. Determination. Courage. Strength. Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment