Friday, June 01, 2012

JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE JUSTINE HENIN!

Yeah, Folks, it's Justine Henin, Queen of Roland Garros' 30th birthday today! I never get tired to say that I miss her so much, her beautiful game, especially now with Roland Garros, a tournament she could win with her eyes closed, going on. Just like in 2008, 2009, and 2011, this year's Roland Garros has proven to be sort of difficult to watch for me and other Justine's fans, simply because she's not playing. I still watch the tournament, of course, because I am, in general, an aficionado of the sport. But still, without Justine, clearly something--or someone--is missing. And it leaves a huge gap that no one can fill.

I also never get tired to express my admiration to Justine. To me, she is more than just someone who used to hit fuzzy yellow balls for a living; as a whole individual, she is an inspiration. I've had my tough moments, and how she survived hers was one of the things that kept me going on. And I do think that her 2007 season--at the start of the year she got divorced from Pierre-Yves Hardenne, then she reunited with her family that she had not spoken to in about seven years, and went on winning 10 titles, including Roland Garros, the US Open, and the WTA Championships--is one of the most wonderful stories in the world of sports. And on court, she was a fighter. A player who never gave up until the very end. There were some bitter losses, sure, but most of the times she always fought hard until the last point, win or lose (2003 US Open Semifinal against Jennifer Capriati, anyone?). Just so you know, not many players can do that. She was so rare, so unique, in a very good way.

And so, once again, joyeux anniversaire Justine Henin! I wish you nothing but the best today, and I hope you know that your fans miss you so much! We may keep watching the WTA Tour but of course we will never find someone like you! *what's up with me and those lines from Adele's song?*
Like the great Johnny Mac said, her single-handed backhand is the best in both the men's and women's game.
There are times when he can be serious, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment