Thursday, November 14, 2013

Australia

This is my first post in...like, eternity. I did not even bother to post a post-final thought after another good-fought final at the US Open between Serena and Vika (oh, I just did!). I don't know, some kind of writer's block massively attacked me in the last few months. I did not even write a poem until a few days ago.

A lot of things have happened, yeah. Not all of them positive. There are some that are quite nasty, that led to my breakdown a few weeks ago. It's long gone, though. And in case those f-ing malevolent jerks read this (they can, oh I know they can!!!)--I am okay. Perfectly content, happy, safe and sound. Any effort they've made to tear me down fails miserably. Now the best thing they can do is go screw themselves up and continue on living their already pathetic life.
Enough with the rage. Like I said, here I am perfectly happy. A lot of things to fight for but all is good. Wonderful. Beautiful. Amazing. Magnificent. Basically all positive adjectives one can think of.

Yeah, I'm here. Here, as in Perth, Western Australia, Australia.

Just thinking of the fact that I am here can make me grin from ear-to-ear. It's a dream that I've built for three years. It's something I've set my eyes on for a long time. And I prayed endlessly to God that He grant this particular wish of mine. And then s**ts happened. And somehow I kept my faith and fought my way here. With God's help. A lot of it, in fact. Now...here I am!

This city is amazing, and I'm not exaggerating. For the first time in years, here I feel truly at home. The people are fantastic (most of them are, at least). Public transport is good even though one of the lecturers at my college says it's pretty much rubbish. The environment in general makes one feel comfortable. The traffic still makes sense, at least. And it's clean. Very neat. Good urban planning. I can list things that I really like about this city and a week will not be enough to finish the list. In short, I love this city even though many things here are expensive. Period.

The university? Oh, yeah. Right now I'm doing a pre-university course at Perth Institute of Business and Technology, a direct pathway to Edith Cowan University. What course? Communications. What major will I be taking? Journalism, heck yeah! And I enjoy every moment of it. Sure, assignments, readings, and that kind of stuff, but that's to be expected, right? Small class size--usually no more than 15 students. The lecturers--in general--are friendly and cooperative. And very understanding.

Another thing I've been doing a lot here is going to libraries. Uni library, of course, and also the town library near my place here. Yes, good access to books!!! The first book I borrowed was Dancing at Lughnasa, an Irish play written by Brian Friel. I was so attached to the book that I felt some reluctance to return it (it's SO good, trust me. A definite must-read). Then I also borrowed an anthology of works of Alexandr Pushkin, one of my favourite poems. Among his works included are his famous novels-in-verse Evgeny Onegin and Boris Godunov. I haven't read the book, honestly, because currently I am reading a book borrowed from the town library--Alix & Nicky, basically chronicling the love life of the last Tsar and Tsaritsa of Russia--Nikolay II and Alexandra Feodorovna. It's good so far, but some factual errors here and there really irritate me. In addition I also borrowed--rats, I forget the title. But it's about Nikolay II's sister Grand Duchess Ksenia Alexandrovna, how she and her husband Grand Duke Alexandr Mikhailovich survived the Russian Revolution, and so on, and so on. And the whole thing just brings my love for books to a whole new level. Man, such a wonderful blessing, loving to read is.

Anyway, I've been listening to The Corrs. A LOT. And they're good. Wonderfully good. Good looking, good sounding. Weird, yeah. I grew up listening to them. Songs like "Runaway", "Breathless", "Radio", "All the Love in the World", and "What Can I Do?" were essential parts of my childhood. But I never considered myself a fan. Until recently. Now I am a MASSIVE fan. Yeah, I know they're on hiatus and stuff, but still... Now every morning when I walk from my place to the bus stop I constantly find myself humming "So Young" or Andrea's (the lead singer, in case you're wondering) solo single "Tinseltown in the Rain", or tapping my feet while listening to "Haste to the Wedding". I've been interacting with fellow The Corrs fans from Indonesia, too. Some fun folks they are! :-D

Speaking of which, yesterday for the first time in years I cried listening to a song. Well, not just because of the song itself. A lot of factors. A lot of thoughts running in my head at the time. The point is I shed a few tears, people. Because of some song! "Heart Like a Wheel" by The Corrs, to be exact. Anyway, here's the song:

Some say the heart is just like a wheel
When you bend it you can't mend it
And my love for you is like a sinking ship
My heart is on that ship out in mid-ocean

They say that death is a tragedy
It comes once and then it's over
But my one only wish is for that deep dark abyss
For what's the use of living with no true lover

And it's only love, and it's only love
That can break a human being and turn him inside out
That can break a human being and turn him inside out

When harm is done no love can be won
I know it happens frequently
What I can't understand, please God hold my hand
Is why it should have happened to me

And it's only love, and it's only love
That can break a human being and turn him inside out
That can break a human being and turn him inside out

Some say the heart is just like a wheel
When you bend it you can't mend it
And my love for you is like a sinking ship
My heart is on that ship out on mid-ocean

And it's only love, and it's only love
And it's only love, it is only love
And it's only love, it is only love
And it's only love, it is only love


No comments:

Post a Comment