Wednesday, September 14, 2011

An Open Letter to Sam Stosur

Dear Sam,

I'm not your biggest fan for sure, but I'm certain it doesn't mean I cannot write this.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you on your US Open victory. What an achievement, Lady, what an achievement. Winning your first Grand Slam by beating a player who was heavily favored to win by lots of people--myself included? Simply splendid.

To be honest, I didn't expect you to win. At all. Not that you'd been playing badly, no. Mostly because your opponent in the Final, Serena Williams, had been playing some extraordinary tennis for the past fortnight. Not that I'm not happy with your victory, though; quite on the contrary, I am delighted You are one of my favorite players on the WTA Tour, and also one of the greatest talents in the game. I'd been wondering when you'd win the biggest thing looked for by all tennis players in the world--a Grand Slam title. The singles one, of course, I know you've won multiple Slams in doubles.

You caught my attention for the first time in 2009. You were still barely known as a singles player at the time--yet you reached the semifinals at Roland Garros. I said to myself, "This girl isn't in the Top 10? The Tennis Gods must be crazy!" In my opinion, you were way too good to be outside the Top 10 and without a singles title. I fell in love instantly with your amazing game, particularly your kick serve and forehand. I waited with all of my patience...until you finally won a singles title, in Osaka. You have no idea how happy I was at the time, that you finally won a singles title.

Then you won Charleston in 2010. Undoubtedly, clay is your best surface. Your Charleston victory was quickly followed by a final showing in Stuttgart (pardon my honesty, but I was very happy that you lost in Stuttgart because the player who beat you is my all-time favorite). Then, came Roland Garros. I don't want to lie here; to be perfectly frank I was furious because you beat the player that beat you in Stuttgart, my all-time favorite. I was awfully mad at you. But it didn't mean I stopped loving your game anyway.

We all know what happened then. You reached the Final, and surprisingly lost (I still clearly remember listening to an Aussie radio and the broadcasters were so excited for the Final--probably because they were sure you'd win it). And...well, you didn't play your best for some times after that. But I still believed you'd win a Slam, sooner or later. It was only a matter of time.

Came 2011. Apart from your big fans, nobody really paid attention to you this year, because--sorry to say this--you didn't play some Sammin' tennis. Until the US Open Series. Judging from how you'd been playing, I didn't think you'd show something incredible. Yet, you did. You reached the final in Toronto, much to my surprise. You lost to Serena, yes, but nobody really minded it because Serena'd been playing some GOAT-like tennis during the Series. Came the US Open, almost everyone expected somebody named either Serena or Maria or Caroline to win the title. I did too, because I was stupid, to say the least. Only some people paid attention and keep their eyes on you--your big fans, of course.

Probably because of that, you played with some kind of freedom. No pressure, no expectation...you just let your racquet do the talk. And you still showed the world how much of a fighter you are. Losing the longest tiebreaker in history and going on to win the match? Only a fighter can do. Winning the longest match ever in the history of the tournament? Only a fighter can do. Winning a Grand Slam by beating a heavily-favored player while nobody really expected you to win? Only a fighter can do.

I was literally teary-eyed watching the Final, Sam. I couldn't help it. So many incredible surprises and unexpected things have happened this year, and I am still amazed by that fact. That's what makes tennis, the sport we love, so interesting. You never really know what's going to happen. And the moment when you converted the championship point...Good Lord, I couldn't describe it. I've always loved the expression of a player who has just won his or her first major title. Amazing, just amazing.

Now just be ready. People will think of you differently. There will be more expectations, more pressures put on you. I hope you'll be able to handle those changes. For you're a mature and experienced player, I'm sure you'll be able to do that.

Once again, congratulations on your victory. Such an inspiring moment--especially for your country, Australia. Imagine how proud the Aussies are of you (I'm not an Aussie and I'm incredibly proud of you!). At last, I know that you didn't beat Justine Henin at Roland Garros for nothing.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi, oi, oi!

Mentari Sandiastri

1 comment: