Friday, January 28, 2011

High School, High School...

It's been almost two years since I started high school. At the beginning I thought high school was one of the stinkiest things in the world. I was bored, tired of waking up early and going to same place five days a week, sick of assignments, not being able to get along with my classmates, somewhat disgusted with some teachers, etc. But this semester I've started enjoying it. A lot.

So, let me tell you a few things about my school. It is considered as one of the best private schools in Bekasi--some agree, some don't. Students should choose one of the two majors--Science and Business--when they are in grade 11. I'm going  to choose Business, of course. For some reason science subjects--except biology--always suck to me. I guess I'm just more gifted at memorizing :p. I don't care if people say Business Class is for stupid people, which isn't true at all.

Most of the teachers are fine, some really, really suck. My homeroom is a chemistry teacher, and although chemistry is a science subject, I like her a lot. She's always been very nice to me, although I've failed several chemistry tests. The only time she scolded me was when I chatted with my friends instead of paying attention to the lesson. Apart from that, she never yells at me. Last week I failed my chemistry test, and when I did the remedial test, instead of saying something bad to me, she asked me if I could answer the questions. I could, yeah, because I studied ten minutes before the remedial test began.

Other good teachers are history/geography teacher, economic teacher, English teachers, and Indonesian teacher. My history/geography teacher...well, fancies me. Never yells at me, never scolds me. Always gives me opportunity to answer her question, even though I don't raise my hand. And she always asks me anything she needs to know about my class (I'm not even the prefect!), like who's absent and something like that. And one time I didn't sit in the front row because somebody already took that place--my favorite place in all social studies classes, and she asked, "Why are you sitting there (in the second row)? You usually sit in the front row! Come sit here, it's empty!" I said, "Somebody already sits there, Ma'am." And she said, "Yeah, but now she's not here, right? Come here!" So I did. It was fun, actually.

All English teachers are very nice to me. The native speaker is such a funny person, and one of a very few 'real' teachers at school. The local teacher is very patient, and he always understands his students. And the Indonesian teacher...he's very young, only 23 years of age, but that's why students fancy him. Because he's still young he never fails to understand his students. He knows young people don't like to be pushed.

The friends are pretty nice, actually. There are three giggling girls, two friends who always sit together during classes, three anime-lovers, two girls who are quite popular, a girl who is favored by many teachers, and a lot of kinds of boy. I can sit with anyone during classes. Sometimes I sit alone, or at least until somebody asks me to sit next to her/him.

There are plenty of extracurricular activities. Journalism, futsal, basketball, badminton, photography, band, choir, etc. I chose journalism because in junior high school I was the Editor in Chief of the school newspaper, and I want to be a sports journalist so I think I need some...practice.

We have math classes everyday, and sometimes it's torturing. The classroom is very cold that some students need to wear jackets or jumpers. The teacher is kinda intimidating, but actually she's a funny person. She likes to ask questions to trembling students--like me. Even though I know the answer, I always tremble. And I often stare blankly--I pay attention, I just don't look at the teacher!

My school is far from perfect, but I start to like it. And someday I know I'm going to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment